One of the most popular resolutions for the New Year is to cook and eat healthier. Anyone trying to do that? Me, too! There are many recipes, cookbooks, blogs, and sites out to offer us help. Honestly, if I used more common sense and less sugar I believe I could figure this thing out myself. Well, with prayer, too. Couldn’t you?
First off, pray for guidance. Secondly, I know I need to eat more vegetables. I love them so that should not be a problem. Right? Well, it can be. Creativity is the issue with me. Do you get bored with the same old way of fixing veggies? It is time to experiment.
Do you like cucumbers? Have you tried them in a salad with tomatoes, green peppers, and feta? Delicious! With a light dressing this fresh salad comes alive with flavor and has very few calories. Winner!
This Fresh Cucumber, Tomato, Feta salad comes from Pampered Chef. Yes, I’m a Pampered Chef Lady. My daughter-in-law brings a praise-worthy version of this to family gatherings. This would make a nice lunch choice. Even adding a lean protein and doubling the portion of the salad the calories would total less than 500.
The three lowest calorie cheeses are feta, Swiss, and mozzarella. Bummer about cheddar, I know. My cheese of choice is Swiss which I substitute in this recipe. I am an onion fan so occasionally I will toss in a few.
If I would just eat what God has given us, I know my body would be healthier. Just look at the historical account of Daniel in the Bible. God has provided so many fruits, vegetables, and proteins for us. Absolutely I love desserts, but I do not need them as often as I indulge. They will be reserved for a special occasion or treat. (I may need you to remind me of that later.)
My body is a temple for the Holy Spirit so I need to make 2020 a year of repairs on it. What about you? What shape is your temple in now?
Enjoy the salad recipe!
- 2 seedless cucumbers, cut into 3″ (7.5 cm) pieces and in half lengthwise
- 4 plum tomatoes, tops removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 4 oz (125 g) chunk feta cheese, cut in half lengthwise
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- garlic clove, pressed
- For salad, cut cucumbers with the Quick Slice, place in a large serving bowl; repeat with remaining ingredients, except pepper.
- For dressing, combine all ingredients in Measure, Mix & Pour®. Mix until blended.
- Drizzle 1/3 cup (75 mL) dressing over vegetables; toss. Refrigerate remaining dressing for another use. Top with black pepper, if desired.
- 12 servings of about 3/4 cup /175 mL
Nutrients per serving: